Jane Addams Children’s Book Award
Call for Committee Membership
The Jane Addams Peace Association seeks committee members for the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award Committee (JACBA). We are looking for members with diverse perspectives and identities among parents, teachers, librarians, activists, and child advocates, all with knowledge of children’s literature. JACBA selection committees are comprised of nine to twelve people serving three year terms. Applications are due no later than Monday, August 19, 2019. APPLICATION FORM
Special Note for 2019/2020
JAPA announces changes in the JACBA selection process and its calendar year. The award remains grounded in its established guidelines for book eligibility and criteria while stepping into a more intersectional, representative, democratic, and public process. Please note the following:
- The award year will transition from a calendar year to November 1 of one year to October 31 of the next.
- To facilitate this transition, books published between January 2019 and October 31, 2019 will NOT be considered for the award.
- A year-long selection process, based in monthly meetings via an online collaborative platform, will be followed with the publication of shortlists of nominees for Younger and Older Children in October of each year.
- Winning and honor titles in each category will be announced at the end of January.
- Initially, flexibility in term lengths for individual members will be needed to assure a staggered rotation of committee members in future years.