The Jane Addams Peace Association accepts applications for positions on the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award selection committee from January 1 through May 31 of each year. Applications are considered each summer and the Award Committee for the following year is finalized in late July.
The Jane Addams Peace Association commitment to diversity shapes the membership of the committee. The current committee’s representation of multiple perspectives is considered when making new appointments.
Submitting An Application:
- Review the qualifications, responsibilities, and terms of commitment detailed below.
- Email a complete dossier to Executive Director, Jane Addams Peace Association (email@example.com)
- A letter indicating your knowledge of children’s literature, describing your experience in social activism and explaining why you are well-suited for our work.
Applicants should have demonstrated knowledge of children’s literature; experience in social justice activism; familiarity with and access to online modes of communication.
Committee members may not have a contractual relationship with any children’s book publisher during any year in which they are serving.
Active participation on the Committee includes:
- contributing to the development of the list of titles to be considered for the reading list;
- obtaining all reading list titles as publisher review copies, through libraries or, if necessary, purchase;
- reading all books on the reading list;
- regular contributions to online discussions;
- thoughtful responses to the comments of others in online discussions;
- timely voting and observance of all deadlines.