About Board Service
Leadership, Governance & Oversight
The Board is composed of a President and Vice President, or Co-Presidents, as well as other members, up to a total of twelve. Each member serves on at least two of the Board’s standing committees. Those committees are the Executive & Finance Committee, Board Development Committee, Resource Development Committee, Communication Committee and Program Committee.
Board Member Expectations
- Participate in two-day board meetings in April and October and two-hour meetings in January and July
- Participate in the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award ceremony and activities
- Serve on 1-2 committees and/or working groups
- Provide feedback on initiatives
- Use Slack and Peace Association email for communication
- Anticipate 8-10 hours of time per month
- Actively support fundraising and development activities to support the organization’s mission
Directors are elected to serve a three-year term and can be selected for a second three-year term.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the Jane Addams Peace Association mission and who has a track record of board leadership, activism, and/or work with young people.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in education, youth programming, publishing, fundraising, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of the Peace Associations’s youth beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- An affinity for cultivating relationships and convening, facilitating, dialoguing, and building consensus among diverse individuals
Currently, we are seeking board members especially with the following areas of professional expertise and lived experience to ensure diverse board membership for equitable and informed decision making:
- Skill Sets in legal expertise for nonprofits, communications, fundraising, web development, and children’s literature
- Networks of librarians, affinity groups and organizations (NAACP, Latinx Chamber of Commerce etc.), Social Justice Book Community, Government, and Philanthropic Community
- People from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, and disability statuses
Serving on the board is a volunteer position without remuneration. The Peace Association reimburses travel expenses to the in-person board meeting in accordance with our travel policy.
Board application materials are available each spring. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in applying.