Remote, Full-Time Position
Salary Range: Negotiable from $80,000
The Jane Addams Peace Association, in the tradition of peace activist and leader of the settlement house movement Jane Addams, envisions a future where people actively work to dismantle injustices and build a more peaceful, equitable world. Our mission is to deepen understanding of peace and justice for children and their adults through reflection, dialogue, and social action. Grounded in its signature program, the 68-year-old Jane Addams Children’s Book Award, the association seeks to create and endorse programs and resources that directly support our mission and values.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the day-to-day operations of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors in order to ensure program and fiscal sustainability and accountability. The Executive Director works with and supports the Board in defining organizational priorities and in creating and implementing sustainable programs. The organization has been led by a working board for most of the last 6 years. We are excitedly looking for a passionate, committed individual to lead and expand the organization’s programs and resource base. This position will have board member assistance as well as part-time social media and financial/clerical support. This position is for 40 hours per week, some of which will include evenings and weekends to align with committee and external meetings and events.
- Board Management
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Work in partnership with Board and committees fostering effective teamwork and collaboration with Board members and staff
- Financial Performance and Sustainability
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Jane Addams Peace Association’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Jane Addams Peace Association, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for compliance with financial requirements and reporting, including taxes, tax status regulations, and state charitable organization registrations.
- Organizational Mission and Strategy
- Responsible for implementation of Jane Addams Children’s Book Award and Books in Their Hands programs including communication with publishers, authors, illustrators, and others
- Responsible for strategic planning and implementation of programming that will progress the organization’s mission and values
- Responsible for the enhancement of the organization’s image through partnerships, social media, and virtual presence and engagement
- Organizational Operations
- Responsible for the hiring and training of relevant staff positions
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Responsible for regular banking and financial transactions
- Responsible for the oversight of the association’s website
- Responsible for the oversight and operation of the association’s online donor management software
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, experience and qualities:
- Dynamic, creative leader with executive nonprofit management experience
- Knowledge of published children’s literature, publishers, best practices in education, and related trends in reading, education, and social justice
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to peace and justice, global community, and equity for all people
- Demonstrated proficiency in fundraising, including corporate partnerships and grant writing
- Excellent internal and external communication skills, including public speaking, presentation, and writing skills
- Experience promoting an organization
- Ability to lead through growth and challenges, with proven relationship-building, collaboration, and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with a mission-driven organization, particularly volunteer Board members
- Financial experience managing budgets
- Experience working with technology and information management systems such as Microsoft Word, Google, WordPress, Zoom, Mailchimp, donor management software, etc.
Data shows that women more frequently do not apply for a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. This job description is a general overview, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we encourage you to apply!
The Jane Addams Peace Association is incorporated in the state of New York and has a New York City address. However, there is no physical office. The Executive Director position is fully remote. Occasional travel may be required.
The Jane Addams Peace Association believes that marginalized communities – including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
How to apply
Send cover letter, resume, two references (with their email contact information), and salary requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject: Peace Association Executive Director Application
Deadline: We will take as long as needed to find the right fit; however, priority will be given to applications submitted on or before September 15, 2021.